Satvik Indian Vegan Society
For people, animals and the environment
WHAT IS VEGAN?
According to the UK Vegan Society (www.vegansociety.com), ‘Veganism’ is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to animals for food, clothing and any other purpose.
For the purpose of membership of Satvik Indian Vegan Society, a vegan is one who accepts and strives to follow the principles of veganism.
The Principles of Veganism are:
1. Eat only 100% plant food and shun all animal origin foods like meat, poultry, fish, egg, milk and honey and their derivatives.
2. Avoid all animal origin/based products and services like leather, silk, wool, circus, zoo, animal sport, animal entertainment, animal experimentation and animal sacrifice and help prevent cruelty to animals.
1. Eat healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts, cereals, etc., avoid or reduce junk and processed food, be physically active and keep excellent health.
2. Use minimum possible resources and live in harmony with nature to help a sustainable environment.
3. Strive to develop qualities like truth, charity, mercy, righteousness, fortitude, prudence, compassion, forgiveness, cordiality, penance, equanimity, restraint, physical discipline, faith, purity of heart, good conduct, asceticism, patience, renunciation, modesty, detachment, steadfastness in knowledge and yoga, dietary moderation, austerity, fortitude, uprightness, tranquility, boldness, gentleness, forgiveness, etc. and non-violence to all beings, non-greed, non-possession, fearlessness, non-covetousness, absence of - hatred, pride, ostentation, arrogance, self-conceit, anger, harshness, ignorance, calumny, fickleness, etc
WHAT WE DO:
With vegan events, school visits, newspaper articles, television interviews, we bring awareness to people about a lifestyle which is good for their health, less damaging to the environment and doesnt harm our fellow beings. We also bring out a quarterly newsletter "VeganVegetarian" and try to bring together all like-minded people.
Also we give a sense of belongingness to all vegans and vegan-minded people with our presence and activities. While we help aspiring vegans with information on vegan lifestyle, we help vegans reach higher level of veganism or spirituality.